2023 FRIENDSHIP GOLF TOURNAMENT
Brought to you by:
Sophisticated Gents Of Florida
The African American Club of The Villages
REGISTER - Sign-up online to play golf in the tournament or to purchase tickets for the tournament luncheon (for non-golfers)
DONATE - Donate online to the Friendship Golf Tournament scholarship fundraiser or become a sponsor of the tournament.
FLYER - Download the tournament flyer to register or donate and pay by mail.
The Friendship Golf Tournament Scholarship Fundraiser is an annual event where local sponsors and members of the Sophisticated Gents of Florida and The African American Club of The Villages partner to support high school students in the central Florida communities of Lake, Marion, and Sumter counties. Net proceeds from the tournament, along with monetary donations from sponsors and members, go to our Scholarship Funds. These funds provide scholarships to selected high school seniors pursuing higher education. Most of the scholarship recipients are from low income families, and the overwhelming majority are ﬁrst generation in their families to go to college. The recipients are recognized at a Scholarship Award Luncheon held every year in June.
The golf tournament is our culminating fundraising event where sponsorships and donations are key elements in our scholarship fundraising effort. As such, you do not have to be a golfer to donate to the fundraiser. Your participation in the tournament and/or by individual donations go to a very good cause – supporting the higher education goals of our local high-school graduates!See tournament details below for important information on format, timing, rules and sponsors.
2023 FRIENDSHIP GOLF TOURNAMENT SCHOLARSHIP FUNDRAISER
Thank you in advance for your participation!
REGISTER – When ready to register online to play in the tournament or to purchase a ticket for the luncheon
DONATE – To donate to the Friendship Golf Tournament scholarship fundraiser
FLYER – Download to register or donate and pay by mail
Date – Saturday, November 4, 2023
Location – Harbor Hills Country Club, 6538 Lake Griffin Rd, Lady Lake FL 32159
Format – Four-person team golf scramble; shotgun start
Entry Fee – $100 per Golfer (includes lunch); $35 Lunch Only
Registration Deadline – October 21, 2023 (or until tournament is full)
Raffle and door prizes and prizes for Hole-in-One on selected holes
Lunch and Awards Ceremony following golf
7:00 AM – Sign-in
7:50 AM – Putting Contest
8:15 AM –Shotgun Start
Low team gross score wins in the following divisions:
Longest Drive - Male & Female
Closest to the Pin - Male & Female
Hole-In-One (on selected hole) - Golf Cart
Putting Contest - $100 (split among all winners)
RULES OF PLAY
SKILLS CONTESTS ARE LOCATED ON THE FOLLOWING HOLES:
Closest to the Pin – Women #13 and Men #8
Longest Drive – Women #2 and Men #2
Golf Cart Hole in One – #16
FORMAT: Four person team scramble tournament, lowest team gross score wins their division. There are 4 divisions: Men’s, Women’s, Seniors’ and Mixed. All senior players must be 70 years of age on Nov 4, 2023. All ties will be resolved by the Harbor Hills staff using a regression system starting with the 18th hole.
Tees: Men GREEN tees, senior men – WHITE tees, women – RED tees, and senior women – YELLOW tees.
1. A scramble means that all team members tee off on each hole and then decide which tee shot they like the best and mark the spot with a tee or ball marker.
2. The other team members pick up their balls and place them within one club length (no closer to the hole) of the marked spot. Each team member hits their next shot from the chosen spot of the prior shot.
3. If the ball you choose to play is in a hazard (sand, water, etc.), the rough, or out of bounds, do not drop the ball outside of the hazard or rough even if relief is within one club length away.
4. This procedure is followed on every shot for the remainder of the hole, including putts. The ball should be marked on the putting green.
5. Putts need to be attempted within 3 inches of the marked spot (no closer to the hole). The first ball to go in the hole is counted for the team score. When putting, once any ball is holed out, no further strokes count. The team is cautioned not to make “tap” in putts until all team members have had the opportunity to attempt the team’s original putt.
6. PAR is the maximum team score on any hole. When teams reach a score of PAR (missed Birdie putt or chip), pick up and move to the next tee.
7. Mulligans may be purchased as a part of the “Superpack”or for $5.00 each. Each golfer is limited to purchasing 2 mulligans. Results of shots taken by using a mulligan are not eligible for any prizes.
8. Threesomes are permitted to rotate a fourth shot from each ball location. In other words, one person will be hitting twice from each position. However, the person hitting two shots cannot do so consecutively. (For example, it’s Player A’s turn to hit two shots. The other team members must play their ball in between Player A’s two shots.)
a. The rotation should be set at the beginning of the round, and remain constant throughout.
b. An example of this on a par 4 would be:
1. Hole1 shot 1: ABCA
2. Hole1 shot 2: BCAB
3. Hole 1 shot 3: CABC ( on par 4 if the 3rd shot is not holed for a birdie, pick up and score a 4 for the team. On
Par3, if the 2nd shot is not holed for a birdie, pick up and score a 3 for the team.)
4. Hole 2 shot 1: ABCA
Sponsors and Donors will be acknowledged in the lunch program on the day of the tournament. Those who donate $1,000 or more get to have an optional foursome golf team (at no additional charge). Donations of $200 or more will be acknowledged with a "hole sign". Please use our DONATE link or the tournament FLYER to make your contribution. An explanation of the sponsor categories is included below for your convenience:
Patron/Patron Plus Sponsors:
Platinum & Contest Sponsors:
The Friendship Golf Tournament, operating under the auspices of the Sophisticated Gents of Florida, is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and is registered in Florida (Registration # CH51753). A COPY OF THE REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE (800-435-7352) WITHIN THE STATE. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE. The division’s website is www.FloridaConsumerHelp.com. Written acknowledgement will be provided to all contributors and donors as set forth in IRS Publication 1771, Charitable Contributions - Substantiation and Disclosure Requirements.